The Fountain of the Wild Man
The Fountain of the Wild Man, located near the lower cable-car station, was the last fountain of the Renaissance period (1626-1627).
The subject is taken from the former neighbourhood abbey of tawers, whose insignia had the savage on it. Up to 1893, the fountain was found in the middle of the crossroads. The octagonal basin is decorated with raised foliated scrolls, the Tuscan column is made of granite from the Ticino, and the fountain's spouts are held up with lions' muzzles dating from the eighteenth century. The Savage wears ivy around his waist and holds a shield in his left hand and a club in the other. This impressive creation was inspired by the work of Hans Gieng but does not possess its rigour and mastery.