Fountain of the Baptist
The Fountain of the Baptist is located on the Planche-Supérieure, near the former St. John Commandery.
Its fluted column is decorated with a frieze of tritons and mermaids holding up coats of arms and its composite capital with the heads of Herod, Herodias, Salome, and St. John the Baptist. The statue of the Baptist takes on the typical balanced pose of Renaissance art but is draped in a typically Gothic manner. The octagonal basin and its base of stone from Solothurn were redone in 1901 and the bronze spouts, the dolphins that hold them up, and the lions' muzzles date from 1760.