The St. Georg Fountain was erected in front of Fribourg's Town Hall between 1522 and 1524. It replaced a fountain that had probably supplied water for the Zaehringen Castle, which would explain the choice of the fountain's figure.
The fountain as it stands today has a column in the middle surmounted by a sculpture (1524-1525) representing St. Georg on horseback killing the dragon, the only stone sculpture made by Hans Geiler. Of St. Triphon marble from Aigle, this work of excellent quality marks the transition between the Gothic and Renaissance styles. The sculpture was originally gilded. The octagonal basin of Solothurn limestone was renovated by Master Joseph Ducrest and, at the same time, the fountain's spouts were melted down by Delesève. The twisted column and the composite capital in stone from Neuchâtel were sculpted by Joseph Tschupphauer and regilded by Gottfried Locher (1759-1761).